Join the Team
It is a huge privilege for Westside German Shepherd Rescue to be selected as a Charity Partner of the internationally-regarded LA Marathon — only about 100 nonprofits received this honor. “Run for Westside Shepherds” is determined to make the most of the opportunity. But we can’t do it without YOU! Sign up for Team Westside to compete in any of the race events, commit to support a runner, volunteer on the Team Westside organizational committee, or crowd into our Cheer Zone on race day! Your efforts maximize WGSR’s ability to increase public awareness of, and gain additional support for, its life-saving work.
A full list of ways you can be a part of Team Westside can be found in the sidebar on the Details page.
Run or Walk
To run or walk for Team Westside, you MUST sign up by contacting Carla via email. Special LA Marathon registration codes and instructions will be provided.
What Team Westside runners receive:
- 2 Race shirts (one from the LA Marathon and one team shirt from Run for Westside Shepherds)
- LA Marathon or Big 5K Finisher’s Medal
- Training & Fundraising Support to help you meet your personal goals
- Personalized fundraising page on Everydayhero.com
- Race related activities
- Fundraising prizes
- Kick-off party/team meet and greet, & post race get-together
- Free Health & Fitness Expo
- Race day cheer zones
- The satisfaction of accomplishment and saving deserving German shepherds and shepherd mixes
What Team Westside runners do:
- Pay the race entry fee
- Train for race day
- Raise (at least) the minimum required for the event they are entered in on behalf of Westside German Shepherd Rescue of Los Angeles. (Fundraising minimum does not include race entry fee)
- Support Run for Westside Shepherds by helping spread the word through family/friends, Facebook/Twitter/Instagram posts, distribute office flyers, etc.
Race options are listed below — choose the one that’s right for you.
ASICS LA Marathon
Distance: 26.2 miles
Race Day: March 8, 2020
Start Time: 7:25 AM
Entry Fee: $170
Minimum Fundraising Commitment: $650
Course: One of the most scenic in the world. Passes by major Los Angeles landmarks. Starts at Dodger Stadium and finishes near the Santa Monica Pier. Click here see the course map on the LA Marathon website.
LA Big 5K
Distance: 3.1 miles
Race Day: March 7, 2020 — 8 AM Start time
Entry Fee: $40
Minimum Fundraising Commitment: $350
Course: Starts and finishes just steps from Dodger Stadium and passes through scenic Elysian Park. Click here to see the course map on the LA Marathon website.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to read all the rules for runners under “LA Marathon Event Rules” on our Details Page.
Not a Runner? No Worries!
Support a Runner
Donating is easy. Go to the Run for Westside Shepherds Mighty Cause fundraising page. Select a specific runner and help them meet their fundraising goal, or make a general donation. Want to do more? Forward this link to family, friends, and co-workers. Encourage them to support a runner, too.
Best of all, LA Marathon does not collect any portion of the funds raised – Westside German Shepherd Rescue keeps 100%!
The Run for Westside Shepherds campaign will continue beyond the March 7, 2020 race day. Everything needed to make this event a success comes courtesy of dedicated volunteers. There’s a lot to do. We invite you to help in any way you can:
- Recruit Team Westside runners
- Coach and encourage runners for race day
- Help runners to reach their fundraising goals
- Coordinate or host fun marathon related activities
- Join us at our cheer zone on race day
Interested? Contact Carla via email and sign up today!